Wednesday, January 13, 2016

While We Were Gone: Sarah

It's been an even longer time away for me. I was never very good about keeping up with the blog, but hopefully, things will change now that I'm out of grad school, and getting better about my procrastination habits... anyone sense a pattern here? 

I had a hard time picking one thing to summarize each year, so I'll be talking about a couple things that will hopefully relate to each other. 

2013 - Montreal Trip


I graduated from my Master's program in 2013, but felt similarly to my program as Jessica currently feels about her's. I was glad it was over, and was ready to leave an environment with which I never meshed well. 

In better news, Kevin and I decided to take a pretty spontaneous (at least for me, ok!) trip to Montreal a couple weeks before graduation to see an art show and meet one of my favorite artists. 




These swings played notes when they were in use, so when people swung together they created music. 






Mural by WZRDSGNG

The show was everything I hoped it would be and meeting poundpuppy was such a nice experience. Prior to the show I was so nervous to finally meet her after having followed her art since high school that I had to walk around the block a couple times before going into the show. Thankfully, she is just as kind, thoughtful, and lovely as I had hoped. 



I again got really nervous and shy at the show and didn't take many pictures. A lot of the ones I did take came out blurry... haha... but the good news is that I bought a few pieces from the show so I get to see them every day. 











Later in the year I met Krista, who would quickly become one of my best friends in NYC. This was our only photo together for a few months. On our first hangout we ate pretty subpar food at the now defunct Maid Cafe NY, pet puppies, talked for hours and met Yeha Leung by chance!


2014 - Friendships

My life changed a lot over the course of the year. I went from simultaneously working a few part time jobs to landing a salaried job, over 60,000 people attended Millions March NYC in connection with the Black Lives Matter movement which is ongoing, and I made probably the most friends I've ever had in my life.  

 In February, some new friends and I met up to celebrate Galentine's Day and exchange presents. Little did I know that this group would become a close knit group that I see at least once a week! All my life, I've been the kind of girl to have just a couple extremely close friends, so this was the first I've experienced having a really large friend group. It's been really interesting to say the least, but I know I'll always have a good time hanging out with them and the city finally feels like home because of them.  


NEVER did I think I'd be able to see Perfume live. This was such a treat, I still don't think I'm over it! Their performances were perfect and everything about the show was so much fun. 



Computer City was my MySpace song back in '06! TEN YEARS AGO, LORD, HELP ME. 


Another favorite! <3 What I would do for one of the dresses from this MV.




2015 - Travel 

Kevin and I went to a bunch of events and went on a couple trips with friends in 2015! I also started exercising for literally the first time in my life. My back has always been really weak, and after an unfortunate fall I decided to finally get stronger. It's been a good journey, and something I've surprisingly kept up with consistently since I started.


Krista, Kev & I went to visit a couple friends who help host Exhuman in Albany. A return visit is needed soon! I've never enjoyed being at a club but this was a different experience entirely. We had so much fun, the music was great and the company was even better. 



Kev & I and a couple friends went hiking at Bear Mountain. My first time hiking!




Dances of Vice is in the city, so we didn't travel, but it was an experience all the same. My friend, Ginngi, was the videographer for the event. See if you can spot us~


Dances of Vice: Phantasmagorey Halloween 2015 from Dances of Vice on Vimeo.



The biggest trip of 2015 was the trip to Orlando that I took with Kev & a group of friends! We went to Gatorland, as a joke really, but it turned out to actually be really fun! Then we went to Magic Kingdom and Universal Islands of Adventure/Universal Studios!! 





Unfortunately, I forgot my phone at the house on Harry Potter day like a total dummy... but I remembered my Instax... what is logic?


Here's to more fun and excitement this year!
It's now only 44 days until this Doll is reunited with her Bee which is the most thrilling news I've heard in a while! 




2 comments:

  1. I love a good recap! I'm so happy you are blogging again and shared this with me! Now I have an archive of old posts to go through :) Also, the row of Victorian looking houses in Montreal are so beautiful!

    Blog | www.thecinemadoll.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying! Our conversation this weekend helped push me a lot. I hope you enjoy the old posts!
      Gosh, aren't they just though? A lot of the area we were in was just rows and rows of houses like that, one person had even made theirs into a tiny castle, and there were so many more trees than here. I'd love to go back someday.

      Delete